Characteristics of the study program
The graduate is equipped with knowledge for mastering the integrated management of spatial planning activities, analytical work and management in the field of spatial development of municipalities, cities and regions, knowledge from the field of natural, technical, economic and social sciences with an emphasis on application in the area of urban planning and spatial planning. He has knowledge of the complex of theories, methods and tools of landscape, socioeconomic, infrastructural and spatial planning, which predisposes him to ensure the management of spatial planning, including spatial planning activities, the process of procurement of spatial planning documentation and spatial decision-making, coordination of sectoral planning activities and cooperation of specialists in an integrative position of planning activities, in the identification and analysis of the state of spatial systems, especially settlement systems, determining their development potentials, processing operations national development plans and projects and managing the implementation of development concepts and the performance of territorial decision-making.
The graduate has the knowledge to master the integrated management of spatial planning activities, analytical, creative and management work in the field of spatial planning and development of municipalities and regions, including smart development of rural areas and cities. This mainly concerns knowledge from the field of natural, technical, economic and social sciences necessary for interdisciplinary cooperation on the analysis of challenges, potentials, problems and limits of territorial and regional development and for its coordination. He has knowledge of the complex of theories, methods and tools of landscape, socio-economic, infrastructural and spatial planning necessary for ensuring the management of spatial planning processes, including spatial planning activities, processes of procurement of spatial planning documentation and spatial decision-making, coordination of sectoral planning activities and cooperation of specialists in an integrative position of planning activities. The graduate has the knowledge and skills necessary for the identification and analysis of the state of spatial systems, especially settlement systems, determining their development potential, processing operational development plans, programs and projects, managing implementation, evaluating development concepts and exercising territorial decision-making. He has knowledge of the legislation governing the planning processes of territorial entities, the history of spatial development and its planning. The graduate ensures and leads the process of participatory planning, management and implementation of development strategies, projects and programs, management of social work in the territory, negotiations during the coordination of interests in the territory, processing of analytical documents for the creation of development strategies. The graduate works with data in the environment of information and communication technologies, primarily geographic information systems, ensures the technical processing of spatial planning documents and spatial planning documentation and the processing of strategic planning documents for the development of municipalities, cities and regions, including smart rural and urban development, but also strategic environmental assessment documents.
Application of graduates
Graduates of the bachelor’s study program spatial planning establish themselves in various professional fields in the European area. Graduates can apply their professional knowledge not only in spatial planning itself and in particular spatial planning practice and related areas of planning practice, in state administration, regional or local self-government, but also in various other economic areas (industry, trade, banking, etc.). Graduates will find employment in the planning process, as well as in the management of development projects, in the management process of the territorial development of rural settlements, cities and their parts, regions, at the national level and in pan-European structures. A wide field of their application is also represented by the private sector and organizations of the third sector, primarily in the area of spatial and localization analyses, preparation of projects and implementation documentation, etc. The variety of roles played by graduates is increasing primarily in the context of the integration of the Slovak Republic into European structures and related tasks in the field of regional development, in the preparation of projects of territorial and business entities with the support of structural funds.
A graduate of the Spatial Planning department will gain knowledge from the following areas:
- natural sciences, physical and social geography, geology, pedology and climatology, landscape ecology,
- applied mathematics, systems theory and informatics
- development of settlement structures and spatial planning
- technical sciences, especially the foundations of earthworks constructions,
- designing technical infrastructure and transport systems in the country
- theory of information, graphic and project systems
- theories and methodologies of spatial planning
- landscape planning,
- sociology, psychology, social ecology
- economic sciences, especially regional economics and the economics of territorial development
- management, municipal and regional politics
- legislation in the field of environmental protection and creation, territorial planning, economy and management, state administration and self-government.
A graduate of the Spatial Planning department will acquire the ability to:
- evaluate the state and identify the development potential of territorial units (zones, settlements, regions)
- evaluate the spatial-structural characteristics of the settled and non-settled landscape with an emphasis on the identification of functional-operational, socio-cultural and natural complexes
- to know the methods and tools of spatial planning, the possibilities and technologies of their application
- manage the basic creative and implementation processes of spatial development
A graduate of Spatial Planning can:
- organize your own study and professional growth
- use information systems to gain knowledge
- communicate professionally with related professions of natural science, economics, urban planning, transport, ecology and socio-ecology
- work in an interdisciplinary team, present proposed solutions, manage processes of social participation in decision-making and their implementation phase.
The main topics of the core of knowledge of the 1st degree of university studies are primarily linked to the following areas:
- Applied mathematics, descriptive geometry, informatics
- physical and social geography, geology and pedology, hydrology and climatology, landscape ecology,
- the development of settlement and landscape structures and the development of spatial planning
- technical sciences: foundations of earthworks constructions, technical infrastructure, geodesy and cartography, information and communication technologies, graphics and visualization systems
- theory and methodology of spatial planning
- theory and methodology of environmental planning, protection and creation of the environment
- theory and methodology of socio-economic strategic planning
- territorial planning
- transport infrastructure
- regional planning
- spatial economy and management
- sociology, psychology, social ecology
- basics of administrative law
- landscape planning studio
- socio-economic strategic planning studio
- spatial planning studio.